26 November 2011

Rough Days

Thane has had some rougher days- about a week of them in fact. He just acts real off for at least a couple hours after his antibiotic dosage. In case you are not in the loop, this is not typical. It was not until I gave him his regular generic from the pharmacy and he did not react like he had been that I realized he must have been dealing with some filler sensitivity.

I'm no novice when it comes to filler sensitivity. I deal with it in respect to certain groups of medications, but my previous service dog had it about as bad as one can. He nearly died when a pharmacist chose to ignore my and the vets warnings about not changing his brand. They knew I was visually impaired at the time and did it anyway- no notice whatsoever.

I was at home thankfully. It was a Sunday and there was no way for me to get him care. It was a living nightmare going through seizure after seizure with him because some idiot changed his brand violating the written prescription to begin with.

Needless to say, I learned to take filler sensitivity very seriously.

With Thane though, the changes have been subtle things- stubbornness, high strung behavior, refusal to follow commands, startling easily, restlessness I'm sure there are some things I am forgetting, but as you can see they aren't as concrete as it was with Met who began seizing out of control after getting just 30mg of the medication.

As soon as Thane got a dose from the pharmacy though, all of this went away. He has been great today and it feels so good to have him feeling more himself again. Some could argue the stress of the past week could be at play here, but despite my venting through the keyboard, I kept our home atmosphere very fun and laid back- so nope its not the answer.

Its nice to have those rough days behind us. I look forward to more *normal* days ahead as I research where to go from here with his care.

No comments:

Post a Comment