19 November 2011

Results are Here

I got Thane's results yesterday afternoon. The lab changed their format though so it took me a while to be able to read them. Where would I be without my good friend John!

The news is very good from my perspective. Though the journey is not over, there is indeed reason to celebrate. In just five months time, Thane's Lyme titer has been cut in half. When looking back at just how sick my special boy was, this is truly a magnificent thing.

I look at it this way (even though its probably not an accurate analogy): It took Thane two years to get as ill as he was. In the past five months the titer was cut in half- therefore we cut one year of spirochetal invasion from his system. Now theoretically that's probably not exactly how its interpreted, but it helps me- so who cares how its really analyzed smile

I knew realistically before the labs were drawn that we were not done with the treatment phase. There were still symptoms that had not subsided. The checklist is long though of those that have been resolved in this first phase of treatment.

We opted for a much more intensive tick borne disease panel this time around. I have learned just how common co-infections are when one has Lyme. His test this time included eleven co-infections and all of those were negative. This is really encouraging because from what I have heard through some canine TBD sources, not all TBD's can be cured through Amoxicillin. Lyme happens to be one that can though.

For now, we continue on as we have been. I was rather looking forward to having the ability to sleep in on cold mornings which his med dosing prohibits, but one day we will get that ability back. For now, we celebrate this huge step forward at conquering such a tenacious disease.

But really, why must my dogs all have *MEDICAL* lessons to teach me? LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment