15 September 2011

The Hard Reality of Lyme Treatment

Lyme spirochetes are tenacious. As such, we have to fight back just as tenaciously (or at least try). For those with chronic Lyme that went undiagnosed for years, this can bring with it unwanted effects for sure.

By the time we end what I call phase one of treatment, Thane will have been on antibiotics for 4 1/2 months as well as a number of supplements being taken to combat the various complications from the disease, the treatment, the damage of the treatment and the like.

During the treatment, I think one of the most difficult things now that Thane wants to work and has the energy to do so is combating the yeast odor that excessive antibiotic use brings on. There's not a whole lot one can do to combat the odor other than more frequent bathing and vinegar rinses. It leaves me always concerned that someone someplace will ask me to leave because Thane smells. Under the ADA, they can in fact legally do this. I don't have a leg to stand on if such a request is made. I do my best with bathing, grooming, vinegar wipes but the reality is that this is going to be with us for a while.

But beyond the work side of things, I know that yeast odor emanating through the skin and coat points to systemic yeast. I also know that Lyme spirochetes love collagen and collagen repair is not going to take place proficiently with yeast taking over like this.  I don't feed grains for it to thrive off of instead feeding a raw prey model diet. I don't give treats that are anything but meat or organ and even those have been rare- used only when doing some training. One of the supplements in use is a very good probiotic. It seems I am doing everything right except the excessive use of the antibiotic to kill the spirochetes.

Right now I like to keep my mind set positive in that phase one will be all that is needed. I try and think of the follow-up testing showing that we got everything and that we can then begin rebuilding his immune system and hopefully putting an end to all of this yeast once the big culprit is withdrawn.

I know in my head that the important thing is to kill ALL of the spirochetes from all of his systems, but when I get violently ill like I did last night from his odor and none of the known quick fixes I used with Met to buy a day or two between bathing works, it's hard to keep my mind on the big picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment