01 September 2011

Changes

I pretty much feel like summer passed me by this year. Lyme can be that way- especially chronic Lyme. I keep reminding myself that it took Thane two years to get this sick so not to expect miracles overnight, but sometimes those reminders seem to go in one ear and out the other.

I thought right now I would focus on some of the changes I am noticing- some for the better thankfully, but others can be exasperating and are going to require a trip back to training I think to get through them.

Thane has a lot of energy, but not a lot of ability just now. I should explain that comment better probably before someone thinks he is still in real dire condition. grin If we do a big trip say one that takes an hour each direction between bus, max, and waits for each with a significant walk as well this means the next day I best be planning on just playing with him. Its been hard to live life that way. I've had to alter transportation source for some things to cut back walking distances. I've had to do without things I need for a day or two if I want to do it with Thane at my side.

Amidst these limitations Thane has a need to expend mental energy and if I can't fulfill that with work because of his limits or mine, the next time we head out he is full of days of unreleased energy. We play ball and other things on home days, but there's nothing like a really hard walk to release all that pent up energy!

The past week or two seems to have been a turning point for Thane's endurance related outings. I'm not saying that he is his old able self, but that he has more tolerance for longer outings like our weekly trips to New Seasons. Until this week, I had to alter the route we used to do this trip or he was dead tired when we got home. That is no longer the case. That is really good progress.

I see a lot of good progress amidst my frustrations though. For instance, I can't remember the last time Thane did not want to eat everything I gave him for his meal. His skin is also markedly improved as long as I catch him before he chews himself silly. Spirochets love collagen and I saw a marked increase in his skin discomfort about a week ago which may have been more positive than that seems. It may be a result of releasing the biofilm through the use of systemic enzymes. Before treatment even by using protective collars, his skin was still not very good. Now I am really happy for the most part when I check him over for ticks and other problems or brush him. For the most part he is also interested in being involved with me at home. That usually means trying to get me to throw his toy while I am busy doing other things, but whats a ball obsessed doggy to do?

On the negative, he has a lot of impulse control things surfacing in his work. A lot of that is indoor work that I can easily work with, but not all of it is this way. It means we need to get out there and practice, practice, practice to settle these aspects down. Its frustrating because I know its all about the lack of experiences that has this surfacing, but its also nothing either of us had control over.

Thane is a creature of habit meaning that if we regularly do something then he considers it part of our routine. When he got sick, a lot of his job was left up to me. When you add the hot pavement to the mix, it meant that Thane stayed inside while I did the garbage and mail run this past couple months. I was sure it was going to take a bit of work to get him back into that being part of his job. We got a couple very cold days for summer in the mid 60 temps. Thane was all rearing to go help with the garbage and mail. It was just one of those special blessings amidst what has been a very rocky and stressful time for both of us.

Things could be a lot worse than they are. The weather is improving some again and he is rearing to go. I think rather than looking at the big picture of at least two more months of meds and probably a year or more of systemic enzymes and regular use of Milk Thistle, I will focus on the here and now today- today he seems rearing to go so a good walk at the minimum is on the books for today. We have a busy weekend ahead so I am sure he will get his fill of work in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment